If you work longer hours than your co-workers, always find you’re the last person to go home and sometimes bring your work home too then keep reading!
While it’s sometimes necessary to put in long hours when you’re after a promotion, need the extra money or have to meet a deadline, if it’s impacting on the rest of your life (your health and your relationships outside of work) then it’s time to pull back.
Here are some tips that should help you keep more reasonable hours:
· Complete your own work first. If your work involves other co-workers, brief them before you start on the importance of time management. Make sure everyone delivers the result in time. Tell them your expectations.
· Do not try to impress your boss by doing ‘over-time’. Your boss may like to work long hours but that doesn’t mean you have to follow their lead.
· Minimize interruptions from co-workers. If you’re struggling for time make it a point to tell others that you would not welcome any interruptions from them unless it is urgent. I it’s too difficult to express in words, hang a sign that says, ‘No chats. Busy now!’
· Keep your telephone calls to a minimum. Instead of spending time to talk on the telephone, send a fax or an email.
· Do not offer to do things for others. When you were first hired, you were not told that you should solve other people’s problems.
· Fend yourself from co-workers who like to dump their work on others. Some co-workers may convince your boss that you are the best to finish assignments. If you have too much on to accept new assignments then tell your boss.
· Get rid of unnecessary tasks. Concentrate on getting the most important task done. Do not worry about all the minor things.
· Help your boss to save. Remember that when you work ‘over-time’, your organisation will have to pay for the extra expenses.
· Avoid attending long meetings. Meetings and conferences are time consuming. Some of them are not so important at all.
Every boss is aware of the effort their employees make to balance work and other commitments. Your boss may be happy with your commitments as long as you excel in your work, you are ensured of a job for some time.
Source – ‘Keep your job without working long hours’ by Frencessca, Hubpages, read the full article here.